This site is not dead! I know I haven't updated in a while, but that's mostly because I've taken on plans that were very aggressive and a lot of work. It's taken a year+ but I'm finally moving to another hosting provider and a new technology stack. Instead of using a content management system, I'm rebuilding the entire site from the ground up so I can more easily make changes and add experimental features.
I recently got a burst of motivation and made a lot of progress. I'm hoping in the next few weeks I will relaunch a fresh version of the site. If you want to keep an eye on things, follow me @compusition on twitter.
I finally took this project out of beta and did an official 1.0 release. I hope it will be appearing on Cycling 74's "Max toolbox" pages shortly.
The project page on this site (with downloads) can be found here: http://compusition.com/web/software/maxmsp/jruby_for_max.
The latest beta version addresses a number of bugs by upgrading JRuby to the latest version 1.6.2.
I've just released the beta version for JRuby for Max 1.0. This project enables Ruby scripting for Max/MSP and Max for Live (built on top of JRuby, the Java-based version of Ruby). It's the successor to the ajm.ruby object from my ajm objects collection.
You can download it here (installation instructions are in the zip file): http://compusition.com/software/jruby_for_max/jruby_for_max-1.0_beta1.zi...
The source project is on git hub @ https://github.com/adamjmurray/jruby_for_max
I'll provide more details and examples soon.
Found a couple more minor issues in the last release of ajm objects and fixed them, so here's a new version, 0.9.2.
Another update to my objects for Max/MSP.
Whoops, the "midi2coll" object was broken in version 0.9. It's now fixed.
I also took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest version of JRuby (used by the "ajm.ruby" object), from version 1.5.2 to 1.5.5. This fixes a number of bugs in the ruby support, so I recommend all users of ruby get the latest version.
The latest version of my add-ons for Max/MSP is now out of beta and available to download. This version significantly improves ruby support, and fixes some bugs in the other ajm objects.
And if you're a Max/MSP user who likes working with ruby, there's never been a better time to try out this software!
I'm finally putting together a new release of ajm objects for Max/MSP and need help your working through bugs in ajm.ruby. If you have used this object before or have any interest in using Ruby scripts with Max/MSP, please help beta test.
Join the google group over here: http://groups.google.com/group/ajm-objects
Which has a link to the beta version. Please start a discussion over in the group for any problems you run into.
I received some reports that my Max object ajm.ruby is not working in Max 5.1.2. I can verify this is the case. I am trying to get to the bottom of it, but my plate is pretty full right now so it might take a little while.
If you really need to run Ruby scripts in Max, I suggest you don't upgrade. Max 5.0.8 works fine and is available here: http://cycling74.com/downloads/older/
Here's my latest song: "Best Frenemies" (4:05) more info...
This is a song about overcoming composer's block (writer's block for music makers). I keep getting stuck with my song writing over and over, and I have been dealing with that by starting a new song instead of finishing what I was working on. Or I have an idea that's going somewhere but I don't stick it through because it's not "good enough". Lame!
I don't know the secret to overcoming composers block but I was thinking about this issue when writing my newest song (which took less than a day!) and I think there are a few things that helped in this case: