Software » Max/MSP
This Max/MSP patcher demonstrates the synthesis technique of waveshaping.
Along with basic waveshaping, you can draw different waveshaping curves and interpolate between them to create morphing sounds.
- Copy the text in this box (it's the patcher source code)
- In Max's menu, go to File → New from Clipboard
- Switch to Presentation Mode
- Lock the patcher to interact with it
- Turn on the volume and try the morph automation trigger
Overview of Features
- Draw a custom transfer function in the waveshaper box. This function maps the incoming signal's amplitude to a a different amplitude value, which distorts the signal.
- 4 different waveshaper transfer functions can be saved and loaded in the preset section.
- Default waveshaper functions are available: identity, sine, square, sine x2 (double frequency sine)
- Morph between the presets using the morph slider
- Morph between the presets with a morph automation envelope, which is triggered via the "trigger" button. The envelope allows for exponential curves. See instructions below the envelope.
- Switch between different oscillators to see how the waveshaping behavior changes for different input signals.
Hopefully the rest is self explanatory. If you switch back to edit mode from performance mode, you can examine how the patcher is constructed.